Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

Veeebs

Most users ever online was 75 on Sun 10 May 2015, 2:29 pm

The Future of this Site

Go down

The Future of this Site

Post by GBDawg1 on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 11:03 am

Every now and again, I have over the years put out an appeal for people to help contribute towards the upkeep of this site.
The actual hosting of the site is in fact free, but in order to make it more user-friendly, we have spent so-called "credits" on keeping the site advert-free, having a proper domain name (the site address used to be http://eafl.bestforumonline.com - that actually still works, but I felt it was a bit cumbersome which is why I purchased www.theeafl.com <www.eafl.com would have been shockingly expensive>), removing copyrights and having an SSL certificate (Https instead of http).

This was all fine, because all I had to do was renew the exisiting options when they were close to expiring. Some were more expensive than others but generally, thanks to people's generosity (and mine!) and me wanting to ensure that the site was secure, advert-free and had a decent domain name, we kept it going and still have some credits in the bank.

However, recently I became aware that Forumotion had changed the way they price packages to what you can see below:

What this means is that in order to keep the site as it is, we would need to purchase the premium package. This is a lot more expensive than it was before, where you could pick and choose which features you wanted. What you see is a monthly charge - an annual charge is 10 x the amount for either the advanced or premium packages - so 5200 credits or 7600 credits p.a. respectively. In the past, we only had to spend 3500 credits to keep the site as it is, so it's a massive price hike. I've heard that the reasons for this are the forumotion are losing money and obviously it's a business and they had to do something. Many other sites have objected but they are not yielding on their planned increases.

So that you know what this means in real terms, 8000 credits costs € 79. In other words, it would cost about that to keep the site running as it is each year (subject to possible further price increases of course).

The alternatives are that we could downgrade the site so that it was plastered with adverts (and trust me they are annoying: you get those ads where if you accidentally hover over a word in green that is double underlined it takes you to somewhere else you don't want to go); doesn't have an SSR certificate (which means certain browsers will tell you the site is unsafe every time you try to access it) and so on.

The other alternative is that we move somewhere else (ie to another forum host) but that would of course mean that the whole forum would need to be set up again and all the history of this forum would be lost. Setting this site up took a considerable amount of time back in 2009 and I'm not sure I could be bothered to do it again.

So, the question is, what to do? Are the owners in this league prepared to put their hands in their pockets and help fund the site? You can contribute to its upkeep by clicking the "Contribution" link at the bottom right of the home page. 500 credits costs €4.90. In the past, a few have contributed (and some have been particularly generous) whereas others have not. By the way, we also have to pay for Daddyleagues but Donniebrasco and I have taken care of that over the years.

It's really up to all of you what we do: but let me say that while I am prepared to do my bit, I'm not going to spend €79 p.a. to run the site.

Welcome people's thoughts (and donations).

Finally, if you are wondering where this came from, there is an admin screen on the site that you can't see, where I update the site.

Dawg

Last edited by GBDawg1 on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
 photo kosarsig_zpscak1bmgg.gif
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

https://www.theeafl.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future of this Site

Post by H64mmy on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 6:27 pm

I'd rather keep the site as it is.

Willing to make contribution too.
H64mmy
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by warlow on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 8:03 pm

I will also contribute

DENVER!
warlow
Sophomore

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 8:05 am

@warlow wrote:I will also contribute

Appreciate that. Thanks

In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 8:05 am

@H64mmy wrote:I'd rather keep the site as it is.

Willing to make contribution too.

Thanks Hammy and appreciate your donation.

GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down