Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 75 on Sun 10 May 2015, 2:29 pm

An address to the masses

Go down

An address to the masses

Post by GBDawg1 on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

It's been a while since I made one of my addresses/rants, whatever you want to call them, so I thought it was a bit overdue.

First of all, it's been a testing couple of years for the EAFL. Our membership level is at its lowest since we started. I'm noit happy about it, have tried to advertise for new blood to come into the league on certain sites, but it's had limited or no success.
We have had what can only be described as a high level of "churn" over the past couple of years. In other words, we've still been getting new owners, but by and large they haven't stayed the course.

In an ideal world, we would all like a full league (that brings its own challenges, believe me) but we want a full league with reliable owners who are going to stay the course. I accept that from time to time and for various reasons, people will leave the league. Lives change, responsibilities change, people's free available time can change and wives/partners/whatever can become less understanding. However, what I can't understand is when people sign up, join the league, play a handful of games and then leave. I have had a whole variety of excuses, so I will only bore you with a few of them:

"I'm in 4 leagues and don't have time".
"I find it difficult to arrange games".
"I can't commit to 2 games per week".
"I don't like the site".

A lot of the time, I suspect these are smokescreens. I don't see many people leaving when they are ahead in their division, but a 0-4 start might result in someone leaving because they thought they were going to come into this league and win the Super Bowl without having to make much effort. Everyone wants to win of course and I shout and swear at the tv as much (if not more) than the next man and get frustrated by the injustice that Madden sometimes throws at you (a holding penalty on a key 3rd down you've just converted, or like I got last night, offensive pass interference - the list is endless) but I have to remind myself - and everyone else too from time to time - that it's just a game. It's no fun being blown out and have people run up the score against you when you are clearly being outclassed, which is why we have the running up the score rule. So for anyone joining this league, please remember: there are 32 teams and only 1 can win the Super Bowl. The theory is that if you play better players you will improve (hasn't happened in my case) and we have seen evidence in that with a few players in this league who used to be also-rans but now get to the playoffs and are maybe not that far off getting to a Super Bowl.

Moving on, would owners please use the matchups thread to arrange their games in the first instance and if you find you are not getting a response, then resort to eithe pm on this site or psm. There are some owners who don't come onto the site enough and follow what is going on. I often check when people have not been on the site for a while and it may lead to to think that someone has left the league without bothering to tell me. So please use the site and be active on it.

Coming back to leaving the league, there is a right and a wrong way about doing it. I appreciate it when people tell me they are leaving, why they are leaving and whether they hope to return or not. When people just retire (usually after a defeat) and don't have the courtesy to tell me, don't expect to be welcomed back with open arms, whether we need new owners or not. Equally, anyone who stays for a few games and leaves can expect short shrift when trying to reapply. I may be getting on a bit, but I do have a pretty decent memory. During this Madden series, I have had people leave before even playing a game; after one game; someone who was a spammer got booted after one game; and there have been numerous who have gone after just a few games. If you can't commit to 2 games per week then please don't wate our time.

I'd like to see an improvement on game reports please: it's the same people week after week who do them. Yes, they take a little time to put together, but judging by the number of hits, some people are watching them, so safe to assume that if you post one, people will watch yours too.

I'd also like to see an improvement on people organising their games in advance. Too often game arrangements are left until the last minute or opponents' requests to play are ignored. You should all know when the weekly advances are so please don't think about contacting someone on a Tuesday to play your game on the week that advances that night.

Finally, if you know anyone who plays Madden and wants to join a league - point them in the direction of this site. It would be really good to get the league back to its halcyon days, when it was full, or always close to it.

Thanks for reading.
Dawg

In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
 photo kosarsig_zpscak1bmgg.gif
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

https://www.theeafl.com

Back to top Go down