In total there are 6 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

MattyE88

Most users ever online was 75 on Sun 10 May 2015, 2:29 pm

NFL General Chat

Page 40 of 42 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NFL General Chat

Post by GBDawg1 on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm

Just as a flavour for those of you who think the Browns did a good job with their trade down:

12 draft picks added in 3 previous trades. Only players to show for it: Justin Gilbert & Cam Erving. The rest have all gone.

Twitter: @GeorgeBransby
YouTube
It's all about money.
In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

https://www.theeafl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravenblue52 on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:26 pm

GBDawg1 wrote:Just as a flavour for those of you who think the Browns did a good job with their trade down:

12 draft picks added in 3 previous trades. Only players to show for it: Justin Gilbert & Cam Erving. The rest have all gone.

True, it's the same with the Ravens of late; we've traded out of the first a couple of times and players like Sergio Kindle and Terrance Cody have been the result. You've still got to hit on the picks. You need to be closer to the early 90's Cowboys who built a dynasty off the Herschel Walker trade than the Browns in the Julio Jones trade. The big issue Cleveland have is as the Rams showed- you can hit on the picks, but if you don't have a QB then you always have a ceiling.
Ravenblue52
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 6:47 am

Precisely. That is why the Browns have made a pig's ear of it already.

The Titans have gone about it the right way: get the QB; get the growing pains out of the way and then get a bucketload of picks to give him some talent for the next year.

All I can think is that Jackson must have a great deal of confidence in his ability to get RGIII back to his best.

YouTube
It's all about money.
In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fraff on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:11 am

I agree with u to a extent dawg I know u can b disheartened by ur teams choices but u can't think every pick is gonna b a bad 1 gotta have a bit of faith they appointed hue that's a step in the right direction and hopefully he can help the board make the right picks the Titans need the pick have been a big disappointment since going 3-4 ain't got the d line or lbs 4 it hopefully these extra picks will address them situations
fraff
Team Captain
Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 10:17 am

Well, I hope you are right.

We had football people making the picks in the past, including the supposed "top football mind" Mike Holmgren, who picked Brandon Weeden and Trent Richardson, amongst others. This year we have a baseball expert and a lawyer who is an expert on salary cap matters.

Trust you understand that my confidence is somewhat lacking in them delivering.

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bapminister on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 5:02 am

Some thoughts after round 1:

Don't know how/where Bosa will play in SD. Don't have a clue what the Browns are doing, should have taken someone at 8. Not sold on Keanu Neal, although DQ had him at Florida... apparently he's a little like Calvin Pryor which would be okay. 49ers are idiots. Cardinals are geniuses, Mathieu is exactly what Nkemdiche needs. John Elway is a genius. Titans will regret passing on Tunsil over Conklin in 5 years time, but not within two years. Tunsil's fall is going to be historic, and will involve lawsuits because, according to Dolphin beat-writers, the film is 2+ years old and he was indeed genuinely hacked - he can potentially sue against loss of earnings.

#Threepeat +1
bapminister
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by fraff on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 6:45 am

I thought the Titans would of took tunsil after trading but  at least they addressed the oline & as long as the they pick 1 of the safety's bell or Thompson or linebackers jack Or Ragland in round 2 il b happy
fraff
Team Captain
Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjimmyaston on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 9:21 am

I think the Steelers reached with Burns but I like what he has to offer and I think his character suits the Steelers but time will definitely tell whether it was a good or bad pick!

One question, Why hasn't Henry gone yet? I thought he would have made the 1st round!

I wouldn't mind the Steelers now going for Hunter Henry
bigjimmyaston
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitzburgh4891 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 9:49 am

Hey jimmy,

I must admit i was blindsided a bit by our pick last night, was hoping for billings , joseph , or the guy those horrid bengals nabbed before us. I swear the bengals didnt need a cb they seem to pick one in the first every year!! I hope we get a good dline or safety in the 2nd now
Blitzburgh4891
Sophomore

Back to top Go down

Post by Orkku2 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 9:52 am

Pretty suprising first round but quite entertaining. Smile

Bosa at number 3 to Chargers was a huge suprise. I can't believe both Chargers and Cowboys passed on Ramsey. I thought he was the best player in the draft if you look what he can do. Jaguars defence is starting to look pretty scary after they have now got five excellent/good players to their d.

Two safeties at TOP 17 was a suprise too and maybe little reach for both teams. Many DBs got of the board too early but I guess that's a common factor nowadays especially when there is hard to find excellent pass rushers.

Hopefully someone will take Jack quickly on a day 2. I feel pretty bad for him and Smith. Without injuries they would be long gone. Let's see who will take a risk on them. Many potential difference makers still on board on Day 2.

Wentz for Eagles was best scenario after the trade. Now we just may have to wait one or two season to see what this kid is all about. Hopefully he will turn a winner.
Orkku2
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post by MCFCDAP on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:22 am

I too feel bad for Jack, he must be gutted but as a Bucs fan, i know what its like to take that player who was a beast in college, got injured and we took a risk in the 2nd round and it hasn't paid off ... Da'Quan Bowers Sad

After countless rubbish, losing seasons I finally have one to be proud of.....

M15 - Season 1 - Jaguars 14-2 - AFC South Champions
M15 - Season 2 - Jaguars 7-9
M15 - Season 3 - Jaguars 7-9
M15 - Season 4 - Jaguars 4-12
M16 - Season 1 - Jaguars 3-13
M16 - Season 2 - Jaguars 9-7
M16 - Season 3 - Jaguars 9-7
M16 - Season 4 - Jaguars 8-8
M17 - Season 1 - Jaguars 4-12
M17 - Season 2 - Jaguars 6-10
M17 - Season 3 - Jaguars 6-10 (Injury hit year)

Overall - Jaguars 77-99-0
MCFCDAP
Pro-Bowler
Pro-Bowler

Back to top Go down

Post by manidifata on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:11 pm

Draft day1 thought:

Chargers and Cowboys gave the Jaguars the final piece to become a contender. Surely the Chargers brass have an idea how to use Bosa, i'm curious to see it and if works.

Cowboys are hostage of Jerry Jones. Dallas have passed on Manziel ( Jerry choice) and took Zack Martin ( son choice). This year Elliott is sure a fascinating pick and blue collar player, but Ramsey, oh, Ramsey...
Jaguars won the lottery. Their biggest need filled with the best player in the draft. Home run for a team that is on the verge to become a perennial contender.
Cleveland, despite what people say, in my opinion did a pretty good job. If they believe in RGIII, the moves made makes sense. They have an ammo for 2nd and 3rd round and next year draft.

Speaking of future, the Titans showed how to build a franchise. Loaded of picks and still get the player they wanted. They could have ended with Tunsil over Conklin, but the path is in the right direction.

Two safety in the top 17, only Mel Kiper mocked them. The true reach for me is Eli Apple at 10 for Giants, not sure the guy is ready to play against the top Wr that run in the NFC east. 

Interesting the Wr carousel opened by the browns with Corey Coleman. We Will see who had the better choice. 

Green Bay had plenty of choice at NT when it comes to 27. Kenny Clark is only 20 years old and a lot of work to do but could be the right choice to plug in the middle.

And Final...Myles Jack and Reggie Ragland, among others great talents, out of the 1st round. IT's gonna be a very interesting day 2 of the draft
manidifata
Pro-Bowler
Pro-Bowler

http://www.thegridirongamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm

I was actually quite satisfied with the Browns' pick in the end. Pro Football Focus gave it an "A" (and rated him the best WR in the draft) and although I can't claim to have in-depth knowledge about the player, I've seen the film and he certainly appears to have both speed and the ability to beat press.
Would have preferred him to be a couple of inches taller and apparently his RTE needs some work but you can't coach speed, as someone once said. Many reckoned he was the best WR on the board and it sparked something of a panic a few picks later as Fuller, Doctson and Treadwell all went back-to-back.

I was wondering whether Tunsil might drop as far as 15 to CLE but in many respects I am glad he didn't. After the Manziel and Gordon fiascos in recent times it would have been a difficult sell to take someone else with a possible issue. I heard on NFL Network that even the Ravens had taken him off their board and if that was the case then there must be some serious issues. Ravens are not normally noted as shying away from the Ne'er do well types.

And afterwards it also apparently came out that he had been paid by Ole Miss. Could be further problems there.

I thought that the reaches were from NYG, ATL and PIT (surprisingly).

So, day 2 and the Browns have a few picks to play with, including the first of the day. After that, they have 3 in the 3rd round.

The thing that has been interesting is that no one seems to have a clue what they are going to do next. There are rumours of another trade down from the R2 #1 pick, but even those "in the know" actually don't seem to be "in the know" at all.

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm

And on Saturday, it's going to be a busy day, with

3 x 4th round picks
3 x 5th round picks
1 x 7th round pick

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by warrior on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:12 pm

Blitzburgh4891 wrote:Hey jimmy,

I must admit i was blindsided a bit by our pick last night, was hoping for billings , joseph , or the guy those horrid bengals nabbed before us. I swear the bengals didnt need a cb they seem to pick one in the first every year!! I hope we get a good dline or safety in the 2nd now

LOL Bengals wanted one of the three receivers they liked, they went just before 24th pick, WJ3 should have been gone by 24 and they knew pitt was gonna take him. Bpa always.
warrior
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitzburgh4891 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:20 pm

Bpa bloody bungles , im hoping for a resurgent browns team this year so the bungles can take back their rightful spot of afc north basement dewellers!! Not sure im completely sold on burns. Whats the bet you take billings just before us in the 2nd !!!
Blitzburgh4891
Sophomore

Back to top Go down

Post by bapminister on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:50 pm

I agree with everyone saying Keanu Neal was a reach, but Dan Quinn coached him while he was still at Florida and he hits like a m*fucker which is what we need. They said they wanted to trade down to the 20s and take Neal but no one called. If he can play SS as well as Kam Chancellor for Quinn, it'll be a good pick

#Threepeat +1
bapminister
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:51 pm

I somehow doubt it. For the Browns to be competitive they are going to have to have an extraordinary couple of days today and tomorrow. They can't afford to miss on many picks and are going to have to nail starters all the way down through the draft.

The pick yesterday said to me they are not counting on Josh Gordon. Gordon has acted like a prick in recent times. It appears obvious to me he doesn't want to come back to Cleveland: hanging out with Manziel when you are trying to get reinstated is idiotic in the extreme.

Moving on, replacements need to be found for C Mack, RT Schwartz, WR Benjamin,  MLB Dansby, SS Whitner and FS Gipson. Maybe they will go with some of the back ups already on the roster - they will probably have to - but then further moves will need to be made in 2017.

Then there is the QB question. Can Jackson turn around RGIII? Are the Browns going to take Cook or someone today as a project? Or wait for next year when they will have 2 x R1 picks? The questions are endless. Will they take a chance on Myles Jack (I think not, but you never know)?

I get the impression that Jackson definitely thinks he can sort RGIII out, hence the trade out of the #2 pick. I still think the season will be fairly ugly, but how ugly will depend on how well our lawyer and baseball expert do over the next couple of days.

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by warrior on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:20 pm

Blitzburgh4891 wrote:Bpa bloody bungles , im hoping for a resurgent browns team this year so the bungles can take back their rightful spot of afc north basement dewellers!! Not sure im completely sold on burns. Whats the bet you take billings just before us in the 2nd !!!

you shouldn't be sold on burns, squeelers play more zone than any team in the league, they then pick a corner who can't play zone defense.
Billings will be long gone by the 50's
warrior
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 3:56 pm

For what it's worth, here is what Pro Football Focus think about the show so far:

Draft Grades

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Donniebrasco72 on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 8:45 pm

Couple of things from last night......

Did you see the size of Elliott's bracelet!!! Jeez, no wonder he couldn't afford a full shirt.

Laquon Treadwell was either in awe of the whole red carpet/draft experience or was thinking 'Minnesota! Any team and I get drafted by f***ing Minnesota'!

As Dawg said earlier, Gordon is a Goner in Cleveland after spending their first round pick on Corey Coleman.

Laremy Tunsil - With the recent signings from Dallas, shouldn't this guy have been drafted by the Cowboys? Still, I doubt Miami are complaining after picking up arguably the drafts best player at #13.

Joey Bosa at #3. I guess both Melvin Gordon and Philip Rivers are made up over this pick!?!

Donald Trump gets around a bit at the moment. Did you guys see him sat next to Paxton Lynch last night? Looks like he's shed a couple of pounds as well.
Donniebrasco72
Senior Moderator & DaddyLeagues Supremo
Senior Moderator & DaddyLeagues Supremo

Back to top Go down

Post by MCFCDAP on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 8:46 am

Day 2 is over, another great move from the Jaguars drafting Myles Jack and another DE, Madden 17 in the AFC South could be fun!

As for my Buccaneers, I can't help but be disappointed! Giving up a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder to draft a Kicker!!! Connor Barth has rarely let us down and kickers come and go, i just dont see it as a good move, however good he is....maybe in 3 years time if hes made some clutch kicks i'll take this back but right now, i'm disappointed. We did however fill our DE need early in the 2nd round and that is a positive

After countless rubbish, losing seasons I finally have one to be proud of.....

M15 - Season 1 - Jaguars 14-2 - AFC South Champions
M15 - Season 2 - Jaguars 7-9
M15 - Season 3 - Jaguars 7-9
M15 - Season 4 - Jaguars 4-12
M16 - Season 1 - Jaguars 3-13
M16 - Season 2 - Jaguars 9-7
M16 - Season 3 - Jaguars 9-7
M16 - Season 4 - Jaguars 8-8
M17 - Season 1 - Jaguars 4-12
M17 - Season 2 - Jaguars 6-10
M17 - Season 3 - Jaguars 6-10 (Injury hit year)

Overall - Jaguars 77-99-0
MCFCDAP
Pro-Bowler
Pro-Bowler

Back to top Go down

Post by bapminister on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 9:17 am

We took a LB who ran a 4.38 40yd dash and a Stanford TE, we'll see how this works out...

#Threepeat +1
bapminister
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by fraff on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

Well it looks like the Titans are committed to the run trading 4 Murray drafting Conklin & Henry
fraff
Team Captain
Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

Well, I decided to burn the midnight oil again and see what the Browns would do. I fully expected them to trade down again but to my surprise they didn't.

I'm reasonably pleased with the first two picks they made of the evening with Ogbah and Nassib. This does raise questions about the future of either Mingo or Kruger though. Most seem to think that Mingo is the one on the block here but I am not so sure. I think Horton wants to have a good stab at getting Mingo to realise his potential at last, so Kruger in my view, who of course is not getting any younger, is the one to be looking over his shoulder. Of course, there is the possibility they might switch to a 4-3 but I doubt it. I expect Ogbah to play at OLB.

Moving on, and I can't say I was all that impressed with the Coleman pick (that's two Colemans to go with our two Williams). nice story and all that but think there were better tackles available at the time. After trading down again, I decided that that was enough for the night and awoke today to find we had drafted QB Cody Kessler, for reasons best known to the draft committee. Not a contender for anything other than backup status in my view, which of course means that the exit door is open either for McCown or Davis.

Some of the other teams have done a great job on paper this draft. Jacksonville fans (and DAP) must be loving their selections. I thought the Titans missed a trick here because with 3 x 2nd round picks in their bag, they could have afforded to use the first one on Myles Jack and this is a very high risk/reward pick. If his knee holds up then the Jags have an absolute steal.

Tampa Bay brought some amusement to the night's proceedings, but I never understand why everyone has such a downer on kickers. They put points on the board and are often the difference between a win and a loss. If this guy is as good as reports say then he might be worth his weight in gold to the Buccs and they may well end up having the last laugh.

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 42 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top