Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

GBDawg1, tru11

Most users ever online was 75 on Sun 10 May 2015, 2:29 pm

Managing Your Bankroll

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Managing Your Bankroll

Post by flashmore on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

Who here bets on a regular basis? What's your chosen method of bankroll management? Do you use a percentage system? Or flat stakes? Or do you just throw the odd quid or 2 on for fun once in a while?

The method I'm currently using at the moment is a flat stakes system. I basically just put £10 on per bet (mainly singles, sometime doubles or a treble). I was using a percentage system for a while but the tipster I was following hit a bad patch and I ended up losing a bit so I've decided on a different approach.
flashmore
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Re: Managing Your Bankroll

Post by Bishbosh on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:20 pm

Hey Flash

I like the idea of gambling and am a bit of a stats freak but i have researched many options as i refuse to part with my hard earned until i like 'my' odds - the only way i believe in having a chance of sustaining a profit (sustaining is the key word here) is by understanding the 'lay' bets during live games or small bet accumulators.

I haven't actually bet a lot of money on sports but researched football & roulette and determined there are ways to sustain a small profit but the discipline and cool head is not something most people possess.

Shove a quid on a 5 or 7 game acc and that can be interesting. I would have to advise EVERYONE that betting is for experts or fun only - otherwise you can lose a lot of cash in a real hurry.

But your idea of a few quid could be fun! Not that i'll bet real money lol

Bishbosh
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:55 pm

Accumulators are for mug punters. Any professional will tell you that. That's why the bookies try to promote them so much: because the chances of success are remote.

I used to bet quite a bit and study form (horses) but gave it up a long time ago. It wasn't because I was losing a lot of money: I was probably down a minor amount but the time taken in analysing races inside out was too long for the return on my investment.

I was a disciple of a bloke called Clive Holt, who I believe is dead now, who used to operate something called "Fineform".

Single win bets aren't very sexy but they are, I believe, the only possible way to long term success. I used to operate a staking system that was designed to win a certain amount. For example, say your aim was to win £20 on each bet (or thereabouts) you would put £20 win on an evens shot but only £2 on a 10/1 shot. In a sense the stake represented the theoretical chances of success. But I guess everyone has their preferred approach. I have joined the ranks of the occasional mug punters now.

Don't take any notice of what killjoy Bishbosh says: stick your mortgage on something.

Twitter: @GeorgeBransby
YouTube
It's all about money.
In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

https://www.theeafl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MCFCDAP on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:32 pm

I like to have a bet every weekend on football, usually a double or a treble, mostly just small amounts like a £5 though and hope they come off, even if its just to double my money!

Also in a little accumulator thing in work, 11 of us, we all through a pound in and pick 4/5 games between us a week and put £10 on that, and with the spare quid we all pick one team and go for an 11 team accumulator...you can guess which one is more productive lol

I usually have a bit of a gamble on the horses as well most weekends, especially now we are into the National Hunt season, prefer it to the flat, its a bit more predictable and the better horses usually show. No real system but usually try to find a race where someone like Paul Nicholls has sent a horse to a smaller course and its decent odds because trainers like him only send horses to nothing races if he knows they will win....with everything though, i only bet what I can afford to lose and dont take it too seriously!

You guys will think i've got a gambling addiction here, but its rare i can go into a bookies and not have a bet on the dog race thats happening, usually just a 50p reverse forecast and tricast (£6 bet), back the biggest price, the 2nd favourite and 3rd favourite. Always look at the other races and see if the inside or outside traps are doing well that day because usually theres a pattern, and i got told a long time ago that favourites rarely win greyhound races because the owners dont win any money from it, so they feed them just before the race so they can't run as fast & they drop in class or there price is better the next race, and after all these years its been good advise.....unless they are on Sky when the favourites are favourites for a reason!

After countless rubbish, losing seasons I finally have one to be proud of.....

M15 - Season 1 - Jaguars 14-2 - AFC South Champions
M15 - Season 2 - Jaguars 7-9
M15 - Season 3 - Jaguars 7-9
M15 - Season 4 - Jaguars 4-12
M16 - Season 1 - Jaguars 3-13
M16 - Season 2 - Jaguars 9-7
M16 - Season 3 - Jaguars 9-7
M16 - Season 4 - Jaguars 8-8
M17 - Season 1 - Jaguars 4-12
M17 - Season 2 - Jaguars 6-10
M17 - Season 3 - Jaguars 6-10 (Injury hit year)

Overall - Jaguars 77-99-0
MCFCDAP
Pro-Bowler
Pro-Bowler

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:42 pm

Ah the doggies......

Back in the 80's, when I lived in London, Iused to go about once a month to my nearest local track, which was Catford. I used to love going there: but have to admit I was s*** at selecting dogs. Catford closed a long time ago, unfortunately along with many other greyhound stadiums. It was always just a fun night out at the dogs.

I remember when I moved up here, I went a few months later to the also-now-closed Milton Keynes stadium. What a sh1thole. No wonder it shut down.

YouTube
It's all about money.
In Paul Blanton Nick Forrest Dick Sam Marty Bud Jim Bill Chris Butch Terry Romeo Eric Pat Chud Mike Hue we trust
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashmore on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm

Yeah, the main rule you have to stick by is only gamble what you can afford to lose!

I'm in agreement with Dawg that there's very little chance in making long term profit from accumulators. That doesn't stop me from putting a quid on one most Saturdays though!
flashmore
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by boboclark on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 7:32 am

depends what you bet on depends how much you should put on ad depends how many you should do i like betting on the golf and i like having a bet on players to score first for there team in football and nfl and it has done me ok so far
boboclark
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post by MCFCDAP on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 8:05 am

@GBDawg1 wrote:Ah the doggies......

Back in the 80's, when I lived in London, Iused to go about once a month to my nearest local track, which was Catford. I used to love going there: but have to admit I was s*** at selecting dogs. Catford closed a long time ago, unfortunately along with many other greyhound stadiums. It was always just a fun night out at the dogs.

I remember when I moved up here, I went a few months later to the also-now-closed Milton Keynes stadium. What a sh1thole. No wonder it shut down.

I go to the dogs at Belle Vue probably around 5 times a year, love it, its a great night out! Would probably go more but Belle Vue is a mission! Had plenty of great winning nights and also had the same amount of nights where i've won nothing at all! Once took £100 with me, bet on all 14 races, went on a full night out in Manchester that probably cost me £80, a £20 taxi home and came home with around £145 Smile now that was a good night!
MCFCDAP
Pro-Bowler
Pro-Bowler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjimmyaston on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:57 am

I do enjoy a flutter and do mostly correct score Lucky 15's on the football - I appreciate it's a massive gamble and the odds are always against me but it keeps me involved in games where before I would have no interest - I guess that makes me a mug punter but I normally come out in plus figures at the end of the season.

My gambling passion is Poker though and can been seen on various sites late into the evening having fun in online and live tournaments.

I have no idea about horse racing or dog racing other than they both have 4 legs and I have NEVER one a penny on them! (Mug Punter again...)

Coventry have just opened up their greyhound track again so I might give that a punt over the festive period clown
bigjimmyaston
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravenblue52 on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

My view on gambling is that if I'm ever feeling depressed and like my life isn't going anywhere, I'm going to go people watching in a bookies for 5minutes. Soon make me realise things aren't that bad!
Ravenblue52
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDawg1 on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:59 pm

Used to be better in the bookies when you could smoke and before they had TV. Used to listen to races on what was known as "the blower" with someone doing the commentary in an emotionless voice.

I think most do it online nowadays.

YouTube
It's all about money.
GBDawg1
League Founder
League Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by patriotscpfc on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:42 pm

I put £15 aside every week for accumulators and BTTS bets.

£15 on a variety of scorecasts on Palace games. (In fairness, i've profitted this for the year on 3 winners... Bolasie, 5-0 = 350/1!)

When I remember, I stick £20 on an American Football bet too. I pick 5 1st Team TD Scorers, and then do Doubles/Trebles/4-folds/acca on them. Won £330 last year, and was a Brady-miss to Hernandez vs Dallas away from £1300 (useless!)

And then there's the horses... I'm not a fan of Jumps Racing, but I turned over a profit of £200-£250 for flat racing at my final update in early November since I started keeping records from May onwards.

Yes, i'm a gambling addict, but I don't smoke and don't really drink, so I gamble instead. But, I don't have to gamble, I do it for fun, and only with spare money.

Representing the Houston Texans in Madden 17
@cpfcpatriot on Twitter
patriotscpfc
Team Captain
Team Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by RedskinUK on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:22 pm

I used to be a manager in a bookies (Stanley Racing, now taken over by Hills) for about 8 years, i worked in and around Manchester and all the way down to places like Crewe in Cheshire. One thing it taught me was to keep my money in my pocket as a lot of the racing is bent, especially the dogs !!

Working in Knutsford (Cheshire) is where one of these telephone subsciption services was based and they were banned from placing any bets in our shops because of the "inside knowledge" they had. They would try and send all sorts of people in to place their bets and we had to report any bets they tried to place to Head Office. Then we would phone our mates up and tell them to put the bets on for us and collect the cash later (good days).

We also had a trainer at Belle Vue dogs that would place his bets in our shop and would give us tips as well and he was nearly always spot especially when backing his own dogs !

Football bets are still the greatest profit margins for most shops due to the silly bets customers have, we had to keep detailed records of how much we took and how much we paid out and believe me all those £1 Acc bets would soon mount up into a large profit once Man Utd or Rangers or Celtic... etc would draw.
RedskinUK
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top